Recipes from the Journal
Sri Lankan Potato Curry (take two)
- 3 small yellow onions, chopped
- 1 T vegetable oil
- two pinches black mustard seed
- two pinches cumin seed
- 1 T (or more to taste) red or brown curry powder (buy in Indian stores
you can make this with yellow but it'll taste very different)
- 3 medium baking potatoes, cubed
- 2 tomatoes, chopped (can substitute 3 T ketchup (my mom does))
- 1/2 c. milk, optional
You can vary it a lot (adding cinnamon, cardamom, cloves to the onions, a
dash of worcestershire sauce with the ketchup, some lemon juice, coconut
milk instead of regular), but that's the basic recipe. - 6/19/96
- Fry onions 1st four ingredients till onions are translucent.
- Add red curry powder and cook till you start to cough (if you
manage to find brown curry powder, you can simply add it with the
potatoes in the next step).
- Add potatoes and tomatoes and cook covered on medium high (add water,
as necessary, to prevent burning)
- When potatoes are cooked through, serve (or add milk, stir, and
Please do mail me with any
comments/additions/etc. on these recipes!