3 large sweet potatoes (or yams) (3 pounds)
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 bunch scallions, finely chopped
2 T butter, divided
2 T vegetable oil
1/3 c. finely chopped walnuts (optional)
2 T soy sauce
pinch of cayenne
1. Microwave (20 min.) or boil (45 min.) sweet potatoes until cooked through. When cool, peel and thickly slice.
2. Heat 1 T butter and both T vegetable oil. Add walnuts and saute for about 1 minute, then add garlic and scallions and saute for another minute.
3. Add sweet potatoes, stirring and tossing with other ingredients (sweet potatoes will break up into chunks).
4. Stir in soy sauce and pepper.
5. Remove from heat, transfer to baking dish, and smooth top of sweet potatoes with back of a spoon. Dot with 1 T butter. (NOTE: At this point, dish can be cooled and refrigerated overnight; bring to room temperature before baking).
6. Bake in a preheated 350-degree oven for 15-20 minutes, until golden. Serve warm.