Recipes from the Journal
Egg Salad ala Mary Anne
- 8 eggs, hard-boiled and peeled
- 1 T mayonnaise
- 1 T dijon mustard
- 1 T spicy brown mustard
- 1 t. dried dill (or 1 T fresh chopped dill)
- 1 t. paprika (optional)
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, minced
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Notes: Most egg salad recipes use green pepper or celery -- I find that
the onion gives a satisfying and intense crunchiness. Most also use only
mayonnaise; I dislike mayonnaise and only use it here as a base, adding
the mustards for more interest. The paprika is optional -- it's also nice
sprinkled on instead of mixed in. The dill is essential. This recipe
makes for a more intense, less innocuous egg salad than most. All the
amounts are approximations from memory; you may want to add more of the
liquid ingredients for a creamier texture.
- Combine everything except the onion, salt and pepper in a large bowl.
- Mash well (you can use a fork, but a potato masher works better, and
your fingers probably work best for the final mushing)
- Stir in onion.
- Taste, then add salt and pepper, tasting until perfect.
- Either spread on wheat bread for tea sandwiches, cutting off the
edges, or serve over crisp lettuce leaves as salad.
Please do mail me with any
comments/additions/etc. on these recipes!