Recipes from the Journal
This is meant to be an accompaniment -- make a batch (it keeps for weeks
in the fridge) and then put a teaspoon or two on your plate with your
rice/bread and curries. But some people like it so much they eat it as a
vegetable -- just heap it on. Entirely up to you.
- 1 c. dessicated coconut (do NOT use sweetened kind commonly sold in
baking aisle -- you may need to go to an Asian food store to find this)
- 1 t. salt
- 1 t. chili powder
- 2 t. paprika
- 2-3 T. lemon juice, to taste
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 3 T. hot milk
- Combine coconut, salt, chili powder, paprika in a bowl.
- Sprinkle with lemon juice, onion and milk.
- Mix well with your hands, rubbing ingredients together so that the
coconut is evenly moistened.
- Pile into small bowl and serve.
Please do mail me with any
comments/additions/etc. on these recipes!